Translate

7.20.2013

i feel like zoolander

I'm not a very good travel blogger. I just dont do it enough.

The events of this past 22-ish days have been everything. I have learned so much, I have made so many friends, and created so many memories. I will never forget this trip. I regret not writing here, but I can't go back in time! I'll try tomorrow....first I will write about my Buddhist temple stay while it is fresh in my mind!

We arrived after about 4-5 hours of travels through first the sprawling metropolis, then finally the wilderness and countryside. It was absolutely beautiful, natural, and ancient. When we arrived we immediately went on a tour of the temple. It was absolutely breathtaking. I don't even think the monks get tired of the view.

We also were provided with proper temple attire, which consisted of modest long pants and a vest to be worn over your shirt. It was 90 degrees Fahrenheit....in ridiculous humidity. It was a test of endurance, not an outfit. I kid, I kid.

We had an orientation of Temple Etiquette, thankfully, or else we would have looked like idiots.

Dinner was great! But I was last in line and didnt get much food, so by the time I could go get leftovers, the food was gone. You're not supposed to waste any food, so you can only take as much as you can eat, or else you seem to not be grateful for all the hard work that was put into making and preparing it. My new Korean friend J said we took everything too seriously, but I see it as being a healthy lesson and exercise for our minds and stomachs.

We then attended a chanting ceremony preceded by a great show of drum skill by three monks. There is a drum...probably as big as an elephant that they use. At the end of the drum ceremony, a bell as big as two elephants is sounded by another monk. The chanting ceremony was confusing for me, as I had never been to a Buddhist ceremony and didn't really even know how to bow. At least no one sat on my head. SeSe sat on someone's head -_-

After that, we went to the main meeting hall and created beautiful paper lotus lanterns. It will not be coming back home with me, but is easy to make again. We then went to sleep at 8:30pm to wake up at 3:00am the next morning.

We went to sleep in our cute rooms, after removing the super cool mountain bug friends, and set our alarms to 3:00.

The next morning it was easier to wake up than I thought it would be, but of course I have had some experience with strange sleep patterns. Nothing new here. The only new thing was the fact that I was in a BUDDHIST TEMPLE attending chanting ceremonies with MONKS. I loved it. The morning ceremony was of course easier with practice, and I enjoyed it.

After that, we returned to the main meeting hall to learn about "Prostrations"(learn about them and read them here) which are basically at the simplest and least, 108 phrases you repeat to humble and ground yourself. For each one, you go from full standing position to full bow. They are repeated at 5:30 am each morning. I love them. I'm going to familiarize myself with them so that I can think of them in tough times. The only thing that does not love them is my right knee. After completing the 108 bows and a small meditation session, I got up to leave and heard a sound in my knee that could not be described as beautiful. I went on a hike after and felt nothing. It is only after an hour on the bus that the pain started. I did not go on the second hike, but iced my knee instead at the rest area. Totally fine by me. I've been on plenty of hikes and this one was apparently killer. People didnt finish and just turned around and came back so theyd get back in time(3 hours)

After breakfast, we had a tea time and conversation/bonding time with one of our guide monks. He was very funny and we had a great time. We also made bracelets and had tea picked from the bamboo forests by the monks.

I really sound like zoolander right now. :[

After tea time and bracelet making, we went on a walking meditation hike with him. It was difficult! But shaded and cool and I am glad I went. Lunch was after that, and then we cleaned up our rooms and checked out. It was a very enlightening, humbling, centering, and grounding experience. It tests your endurance and your open-mindness. It was like a soul workout :)

Anywho, I am off to bed because I have to rise and shine early tomorrow! Going to Seoul for a Design-Related fun day!








Entrance


View up the mountain

The beautiful and ancient eaves

Oh, just some Korean National Treasures

Main temple

Activities

Our Lotus Lamps(that didnt travel well)

View out my room's window

Hiking through the bamboo forest

View at the Satellite portion of the temple further up the mountain/end of the hike

View from almost the top of the mountain

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love reading your writing. I am glad you are having so much fun!! Soak it up, girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful experience, inside and out. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete