Translate

5.06.2013

bad news followed immediately by good news :)

So I know it's been a few months, but I have been too busy for a blog!

Long story short, I was turned down for the South Korea scholarship! Yes, such a bummer! I'm not really that sad about this, though, I'm actually very excited for the few people that were chosen. They will have a great time and learn a whole lot of Korean! In truth, It seems like a large number(~100?) of people applied to beginning Korean, and it looked as though there were only about 5-10 spots. Super competitive.

After being turned down, a fire was lit under my butt, and I immediately searched for more options! Gotta learn Korean! I then took a Korean class at a local Korean Church and worked on some basic phrases and vocab. It was economically priced, my teacher was very kind and helpful, and overall, I highly recommend attending classes there. It's called Bethel Korean Church in Irvine, California! After finals are over, I am going to review and study all of the things in my Big Giant Binder from the class!

I did have a backup plan of applying to a program through my University, however, and was accepted into that! The first month, I got a scholarship to teach English, and the second month, I learn Korean! Part of the scholarship pays for my flight, and then room and board and breakfast and lunch are included. I am so thankful I got it, it definitely made the trip possible. Already using Google Map Engine Lite to organize all of the cool places I have to go. I wish I could hop over to neighboring countries to visit, too, but this way I will really get to know SK :)

The place I stay the first month to teach English is called the English Village. It is very cute and looks like a blast. I don't know the age of students I'll be teaching, but I would be happy with any class from little kids to college students to grandmas and grandpas. I love learning languages and helping people, so this is a perfect job for me!

The second month, I'm going to be learning Beginning Korean through direct exchange at a local university. I feel like a large portion of the class will just be review, since I already have had some practice reading and writing Hangul/Korean with my other class. I need to brush up on my phrases though. I can only remember it's nice to meet you when people ask me if I know anything :| Pangapsimnida. ne...

This Wednesday, we're having a little mixer so all of the participants can meet each other before we leave. This is pretty exciting for me, because I love meeting new people (ya whatevs, I'm a people person, don't be jealous) Also excited because these specific people will be my fellow adventurers for the next few months. Can't wait :) I hope I find some amigos that want to catch a flight early to explore and adjust before the program starts.

That's about it for now! Plenty of "updations" to come :)

앨리드림

No comments:

Post a Comment