Translate

6.20.2013

the long awaited trip can now begin!

Hey everyone! I miss you all but am making a ton of buds, so I don't really miss you that much. Just kidding. I look forward to August when we will meet again!
I just arrived last night, and on the way home from the airport everyone in my van was talking some real big talk about how we were going to go out when we got back. Yeah so it was 4am our time back home, and none of us slept on the plane. Needless to say, I knocked out. Glad I did too, because the jet lag had me waking up at 4am here(noon in pacific time. 
I'm also glad I pocketed the in flight blankie they gave us, because it's the perfect weight for hot humid nights when your air conditioner doesn't work and is in Korean. We left the window open, so I got to wake up through the night to the sound of jungle noises outside my window. I do not know what I heard, but I heard enough to know they were jungle animal noises that make me glad I'm on the 4th floor of a locked building. 
My roommate is SO cool! She is from the Netherlands but born and raised in Aruba. Yes! We are the Caribbean roomies! :) Her accent is way cool though, and mine is all plain. Also, she's a Film and Music Production Major, so pretty much is going to come live in LA after she graduates. Coolness. Also, she laughs at me. When I tell jokes. So it works out pretty well actually.
My flight was the best flight I have ever been on, with the stewardesses walking through the cabin every half hour with something to offer us or refilling or taking trash away. We had drinks, hot towels, lunch, tea, coffee, refills, water or orange juice, water or orange juice, a ham sandwich, water or orange juice, hot towels again, drinks, dinner, coffee, tea, refills, and I think that's it....And the man next to me saw me trying to look out the window when we started flying over South Korea, so he offered to switch seats with me. He also helped me with some survival phrases that were not as simple as they could be on our cheat sheet. To say "Please take me to Dankook University" All I have to say is Danguk-day-yo, instead of something three times as long as that that was written down.
I am REALLY thankful I brought my super unhealthy processed US Snackies, because freaking out from no home food was one of my biggest fears. Psychologically that can really mess a person up. I love Korean Food though, so I dont know if I need them that much!!!
Ok, off to go get a Korean style breakfast consisting of rice, soup, and the little banchan plates (those side dishes they are so well known for!) The plan for later today is orientation, then.......shopping and exploring!!! :)  

5 comments:

  1. So glad everything is great! Thanks for keeping us updated

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be checking your blog every day and so glad that you like your room mate or it would be a long 2 months. You feel closer just reading your blog. All is fine here so just enjoy and take it all in. Stay with your group and remember you are in a foreign country and respect their rules.
    Love you
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I am laughing so hard because I can hear your voice when I read it. I want to see what you are seeing!!!! I miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its so nice to hear from you in your new and exciting place! ....what animals could they be at night ? Isnt' the area you're in pretty busy?? Or is it in the country? It'll be fun to hear the latest from you Ali...thanks for sharing your new experiences! ...Kathy's friend Marion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Marion! The Jukjeon campus rests up against a large hill(or small mountain) that is just forest. There is a farm on the other side.

    ReplyDelete